May the workforce be with you too!


Revisiting chemistry and geometry for the sake of my tutees


Friday, June 17, 2005

First Day of Work

Just had mine today, and it was so fun that I was only able to come home at 10:30 in the evening!

Like college, first day was orientation day, but everyone else including Ma’am Ched (who’s like my mommy at work) seems to be preoccupied enough with tons of work to do that I only had an informal one. She told me that I’ll just be having the formal one in July, when the tons of work eventually trickle down to more manageable ounces and pounds.

Ma’am Ched also told me that for the first quarter of my training, I'll be working under the Marketing head-honcho of the Industrial Group. His name is Sir Reggie and he basically handles the 3M abrasives (i.e. 3M sandpaper - yup, didn't know they had one), the 3M display and graphics products, security products (i.e. the orangey reflective material usually found on MMDA throwbacks), and other Industrial Market stuff. Sorry, no Post-It designing for me yet for the first three months!

Unfortunately, because busy nga lahat ng tao dun, I wasn't able to meet Sir Reggie today, so I decided to help out in HR instead. Wahoo, HR for a day (or two) before I get expatriated two floors higher (‘coz HR's on the 18th floor and Marketing's on the 20th hehe).

Anyway, so for my first ever task, I was asked to type and print some Regret Letters (i.e. politically correct term for “Rejection Letters” - yup, companies seem to want to sound less cruel but honestly, the wording aaaain't helping) by Miss Chiqui, who is one of Ma'am Ched's minions and my first friend at 3M.

Then we had lunch at the cafeteria of this adjacent building called the BPI Buendia Tower because according to Miss Chiqui, and according to my prior experience as well, the food at our very own Equitable-PCI Tower 2 is somewhat “unforgettable-slash-regrettable”, which when combined I think means nakakasawa. Yup, I know I’m still a virgin and all in terms of eating at Tower 2’s cafeteria but at least my taste-buds can attest that Equitable-PCI Tower 2 food doesn’t stray far from Ateneo caf food.

After lunch, I got to do some more HR stuff, and this time a rather guilt-provoking task. Well, I got to sort out HR files, and part of them was to assist in short-listing applicants whether they… to put it bluntly, got it or not. But that is given a set of criteria of course. Mind you, after handling the task, I can definitely say that HR is not a guilt-free job. Oh well, at least the upside is that those whom I’ve rejected (sounds braggy but hey, just telling the truth) won’t come and hunt me down.

Then I helped photocopy the Six-Sigma (not enough energy to discuss what Six-Sigma is, basta it has nothing to do with Stat) newsletter and then after that I assisted in putting up some visual aids for the Corporate Rewards ek-ek programme due this Tuesday.

With all these, I didn’t realize that 5pm was almost there. We had a break, and Ma’am Elenette (the goddess of all 3M administrative assistants, who’s been working there for 30 years already) treated us with two waffles each. Bait! Tapos kuwentuhan with my office-mates (this was the time when I graduated from my coy state so medyo wala nang hiya-hiya by this time) and then when I thought that I’m already calling it a day, biglang nagkayayaan manood ng Batman Begins! Haha and then yun we watched the movie at Quad 1 over dinner and we finished at around 9:45pm. So yun, it was only able to come home at 10:30 in the evening! Plus, I got to take home some 3M freebies like Post-Its and Scotch Magic Tape hehe wahoo!

Looking forward to even more adventures tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home